Tuesday, March 5, 2013

the High/Low list

I think I will start a new weekly series-the High/Low list. I have expensive taste. I do not necessarily have the budget to match... particularly since I tend to change my mind every so often. So oftentimes, I'll see something I really want, and then do some shopping to find a similar style that will satisfy my decorating whims.

High Low 1


Crate & Barrel Hoyne Pendant Lamp / Young House Love Large Wire Globe Lantern 7 Colors! SHADES / Suzanne Kasler Set of 3 Sunburst | Ballard Designs / Jonathan Adler Capri Short Grey Glass Table Lamp - #J1782 |... / Requisite Gray Ovo Table Lamp - #X1363-X8993-X9869 | LampsPlus.com / Threshold™ Round Mirror - 3 Pieces : Target

First up on the agenda on the High list we have the Jonathan Adler gray table lamp, the Crate and Barrel  Hoyne Pendant and the Ballard Design Sunburst mirrors. on the Low list we have the Lamps Plus Gray Ovo table lamp, the Young House Love Wire Globe Lantern and the Target Threshold Round Mirror set.

I have already acquired the Target mirror set--for $30 it was quite the steal. I used one of the lamps in a small project I tackled today-stay tuned for that post!  I've been looking at the Lamps Plus Ovo lamps for awhile and have been tempted to purchase two of the gray lamps to go with the Pottery Barn lampshades I bought last month.
Pottery Barn Karlie Ikat Embroidered drum lamp shade

Something tells me they would love fabulous on the Gray Ovo lamps. But I am not 100% sure I am committed to keeping the shades. They were pricey - around $150 for the last two in stock. Which really, is quite appalling, and I am pretty sure I will never spend so much on lampshades again in my life.  But they were discontinued, and I didn't want to regret some day not buying them! 

Which brings us to the pendant. One of my favorite blogs is House*Tweaking. I would say Dana's style most closely matches the style I want in my house some day. In fact, I was am 100% in LOVE with Dana's "everything room." (It's the mudroom, dining room and laundry room in her home.)  In any case, it was there I saw the Hoyne Pendant and fell in love. In fact, I love everything about this room and it has me looking at my kitchen and dining room with a whole new set of ideas... but that's another post for another day. 


House*Tweaking.com 
I love how the lamp brings a slightly industrial edge to the room, but also allows the light to go everywhere, which is important in my house.  Since there are no lights in the living room, so the dining room light is often the central light source for both the dining room and living room.  The only problem (aside from its $350 price tag) is its size. It's huge! My dining room is small, and with ceilings that are only 8 feet, I worry the size of the Hoyne pendant would be far too large for over my dining table. In comes another player, the YHL Large Wire Globe lantern from Shades of Light. It is less intricate than the Hoyne pendant, but here is the key: it also comes in a small size-only 15.75" across in diameter! 
YHL Large Wire Globe Lantern
So there you have it, my first installment of the High/Low list and oh yeah, a lot of rambling. 

No comments:

Post a Comment