Sunday, September 15, 2013

Do you Birchbox?


I admit I am one of those people who love free makeup and skincare samples. And yes, I am also one of those people who think putting the word "free" in front of something makes it justifiable even if you are shelling out more than you are getting for "free." It's okay if you are fully aware that you are being illogical. 

I am a VIB (Very Important Beauty Insider) with Sephora. What that means is I spend a ridiculous amount of money on makeup and skincare and they want me to keep spending more ridiculous amounts of money on makeup and skincare, so they entice me with points and free samples

I love samples. A daily makeup routine? Not so much. Most days I am lucky if I remember to throw on mascara and lip gloss. But with all of the samples I've tried over  the years, I have found some items that I consistently return to. I thought I would do a roundup of my top ten favorites.

Top 10 Makeup & Skincare picks


  1. Bumble and Bumble Bb. Thickening Dryspun Finish, Sephora. This is relatively new to the market, but I love the texture it gives hair!
  2. Klorane Gentle Dry Shampoo with Oat Milk, Birchbox.com. I've tried multiple dry shampoos and I've found this one to be the best for my fine hair. 
  3. L'Oreal Youth Code Dark Spot Correcting & Illuminating Serum Corrector, drugstores. I have a few sun spots on my face that have started to fade since using this serum. 
  4. NARS Lipstick in Flair, Sephora. This lipstick is so creamy and non-sticky and it doesn't dry out my lips like some other brands. 
  5. Stila Lip Glaze in Black Cherry, Sephora. A little sticky, but shiny and pretty. 
  6. NARS Lipgloss in Dolce Vita, Sephora. I go through this gloss like crazy-it's my favorite one out there!
  7. Benefit BADgal Lash Mascara, Sephora. I've tried a lot of different mascaras and this one makes my lashes look all fluffed up. 
  8. Shiesdo Bio-Performance Advanced Super Revitalizing Cream, Sephora. I love this stuff. It's super moisturizing and makes my skin feel so soft. It's definitely pricy but a little goes a long way. 
  9. Lady Gaga's Fame perfume, Sephora. I first scoffed at a perfume by Lady Gaga. Named Fame, of all things. (I mean, honestly, can you sound more pretentious?!) But then I smelled it and fell in love. It has Belladonna as one of its ingredients. Hm, poison, in perfume? I likes it. 
  10. Clinique A Different Nail Enamel in Black Honey, Sephora. My new cult favorite. I love the dark color on nails!!! 
But back to the free sample thing (you knew I couldn't let that go, right?!). A few months ago, I subscribed to Birchbox. I had read about monthly makeup and skincare sample programs and Birchbox seemed like one of the cheaper versions to subscribe to. At $10 a month, they are not free samples, but I have to admit, it is super fun getting the beauty box in the mail each month. Peyton loves it, too--she squeals when she gets a funky nail polish color or perfume sample. Me, I'm in it for the lip gloss and skincare samples. Because even though it's not free, it's still the same fun feeling as seeing "free samples with purchase" at the makeup counter in the mall.  


Image from Birchbox.com/



What's in your beauty bag? 


No comments:

Post a Comment